Snapwm is a minimalistic, dynamic tiling window manager for the X windowing system, developed using Xlib.
- Small, hackable code base
- User configuration is easily modifiable - even while running.
- Few dependencies - only Xlib.
- Multiple workspaces
- Window layouts (Vertical tile, Horizontal tile, Fullscreen, Grid & Stacking)
- Can be completely controlled via the keyboard (some mouse control as well)
- A status bar section can be set by setting the name of the root window via e.g. xsetroot
- Support for multi-byte fonts
- Xinerama / Multihead support
- XFT support (possibly)
Source for Snapwm is available over at Github
First, install Xlib; then:
- $ make
- # make install
- $ make clean
- $ mkdir -p ~/.config/snapwm/
- $ cp sample.apps.conf ~/.config/snapwm/apps.conf
- $ cp sample.key.conf ~/.config/snapwm/key.conf
- $ cp sample.rc.conf ~/.config/snapwm/rc.conf
- $ echo "exec snapwm" >> ~/.xinitrc
- $ startx